Greg Blue joined the firm after practicing as a partner in large regional law firms. He focuses on complex litigation in New York and California, frequently representing clients in matters that involve allegations of fraud and financial misdealing, corporate governance disputes, and breaches of fiduciary duties. A significant part of his practice involves the representation of venture capital funds and their principals in litigation and advising them on board governance issues.
Greg also litigates substantial employment-related matters. Among his recent cases, Greg won summary judgment dismissing Fair Labor Standards Act and New York Labor Law claims against his clients in a class action in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, which was affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. In Los Angeles Superior Court, he won dismissal of all claims against his venture fund clients in a case alleging tortious interference and retaliation in connection with the dismissal of a co-founder of a portfolio company.
Greg frequently represents clients in real estate and property-related disputes, many of which involve corporate governance issues. He has represented the co-owners of a hotel in a dispute with their business partners, one party to a joint venture in litigation with its former joint venture partner over the development of commercial real estate, and a member of a limited liability company in a dispute with another member over the commercial property owned by the LLC. Together with firm partner Brian Cohen, Greg represented unit owners in a condominium apartment building who prevailed in a bench trial in the New York County Supreme Court Commercial Division on breach of fiduciary duty claims against the condominium sponsor and board members.
Greg’s practice also involves representing clients in judgment enforcement and discovery disputes in the United States related to foreign proceedings. Among those matters, Greg has successfully sought confirmation of foreign arbitration awards, won dismissal of a New York action seeking recognition of a foreign judgment, and obtained a court order quashing subpoenas and ordering the destruction of documents improperly obtained by a foreign judgment creditor seeking discovery in the United States.
Over the course of his almost 25 years in practice, Greg has represented creditors and shareholders in bankruptcy court, policyholders in insurance coverage disputes, both plaintiffs and defendants in cases involving allegations of legal malpractice, and litigants in copyright and trademark disputes.
Greg was a History and Political Science major at The George Washington University and received his J.D., with honors, from The George Washington University Law School, where he was a member of the Law Review.
Thomson Reuters has included Greg on the Super Lawyers list for Business Litigation in New York, NY for the years 2015-2022.
Greg is admitted to practice in New York, New Jersey and California, and is a member of the bar of the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, the District of New Jersey, the Northern and Central Districts of California, the United States Court of Appeals for Second Circuit and the United States Supreme Court. Greg also is a member of the mediation panel for the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Successfully defended a large financial institution in a putative class action alleging violations of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and fraud, obtaining dismissal at the pleading stage (Southern District of Indiana)
- Obtained a $36 million settlement for a family of investors in securities fraud litigation against Tyco International Ltd (District of New Hampshire)
- Obtained a judgment against a foreign defendant in a case alleging fraud in connection with a reverse merger (Southern District of New York)
- Obtained a multi-million-dollar settlement on behalf of a venture capital fund related to the sale of its stock in a technology company to insiders (Pre-litigation settlement)
- Defended a client alleged to have violated Section 13(d) of the Securities Exchange Act, successfully opposing motions for a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction, and prevailing on a motion to dismiss (Southern District of New York)
- Represented venture capital funds sued for alleged tortious interference with a contract involving their investments in a portfolio company, winning dismissal at the pleading stage (Eastern District of Pennsylvania)
- Represented an investor who brought suit for breach of stock purchase agreements, obtaining a full recovery plus pre-judgment interest on summary judgment (Middle District of Pennsylvania)
- Represented a limited liability company and its majority member in a declaratory judgment action concerning a former member’s claim for rescission of the agreement transferring his interest in the company. (New York State Supreme Court)
- Represented the co-owners of a hotel in a dispute with their business partners concerning owner loans, personal guarantees and capital contributions. (New York State Supreme Court)
- Obtained an early settlement of claims against a technology company involving a contract dispute with a contractor (Southern District of New York)
Real Estate Litigation
- Represented a large, publicly-traded banking institution in contract litigation involving an alleged breach of contract concerning the sale of real estate in Manhattan (New York State Supreme Court)
- Represented a real estate investor in a dispute with his partner concerning California real estate, successfully negotiating a resolution of the matter with the withdrawal of one of the partners from the venture (pre-litigation settlement)
- Represented limited partners in a partnership that owned an office tower with respect to claims of self-dealing and breach of fiduciary duty by the general partner in connection with the sale of the property (pre-litigation settlement)
- Represented a commercial tenant in a lawsuit alleging that the tenant fraudulently calculated a co-tenant’s share of rent, winning the case on a motion to dismiss (New York State Supreme Court)
- A dispute between investors and a financial institution involving a fraudulently marketed hedge fund investment, resulting in the return of a portion of the investors’ money (pre-litigation resolution)
Attorney Liability Litigation
- Represented an attorney in a dispute with his former partner concerning alleged conversion of firm assets
- Represented an attorney alleged to have aided his client in perpetrating a fraud, obtaining dismissal of the case with an award of fees against the plaintiff
- Represented an attorney sued for alleged complicity in his client’s fraud, obtaining a favorable early-stage settlement
- Represented an employer sued under federal and state wage laws alleged to have underpaid the company’s CFO, obtaining dismissal of the federal suit
- Represented an employer sued under federal and state wage laws alleged to have failed to pay overtime, and alleged to have retaliated against the complaining employee, obtaining a favorable pre-trial settlement
- Represented an employee in a discrimination suit, successfully arguing that an employee who is covered by a collective bargaining agreement with an arbitration provision is not required to arbitrate her sexual harassment and discrimination claims prior to filing suit under Title VII